Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Teen Parenting Insight

A couple blogs ago I mentioned that Zac is a teen now!!! So I thought I had to learn more about the teens now adays. I still remember when I was a teen, however times have changed! So my friend Linda and I venture out to meet my sister at Chatard Parents In Touch to see Dr. Sipes who was the speaker tonight to explain why our teens, called the Millennial Generation, are considered "The New Greatest Generation."

According to Dr. Sipes, this unique generation is characterized as having greater mobility, better and faster communication, and more money than any generation since World War I. Additionally, Millennials are upbeat, optimistic, well-educated, and comfortable with diversity. They typically care about family and friends, and they actually desire a long-term "friendship" relationship with parents.

Dr. Sipes addressed practical concerns we face with these teens, like alcohol and drug abuse, constant cell phone use, texting, inappropriate song lyrics, and when dating should start. Dr. Sipes' new and more powerful way of parenting, Soulful Parenting, promises that we can positively influence our teens in the here and now, as well as preserve a healthy relationship for the future.

No comments:

My Scrapblog